Install CWM Recovery on Sony Xperia Z
If a few days ago, we were teaching you how to root and unlock the bootloader) of a Sony Xperia Z smartphone, today we are posting a new step by step tutorial, in order to help you install on your Xperia Z device, a custom recovery image. After going through this tutorial (step by step, just as usual), you will know how to run on your smartphone the ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery flash. This means you are going to be able to improve your Xperia Z’s performances, and for that, we have to give credit to the xda-developers, because they made that option possible for us, by developing the tool CWM recovery, to work on Sony Xperia Z as well.
Considering that the CWM recovery tool is available for almost each Android powered device (tablet or smartphone), we can state that in the present moment it is one of the most downloaded and used custom recovery image, and not only for this reason. We are sure you are already aware of the fact, that installing and flashing the CWM Recovery program is a risky procedure. Knowing this, be careful on how you choose your guides for flashing it, cause an unappropriated tutorial might brick your smartphone. It is very important to choose the tutorial that matches the model of your Android device. Furthermore, this is a guide for flashing the CWM Recovery on a Sony Xperia Z smartphone, and we advise you to not install or flash anything that isn’t mentioned in our procedure, and to read it thoroughly before beginning the process.
Make sure you download the ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery directly on the Sony Xperia Z, then install it. This action will allow you to make certain changes, that weren’t available for you until now, due to the settings on the current stock recovery. With this new tool you will be able to perform, easier than you’d think, changes ans settings like installing zip. files, wiping the system, operating maintenance processes, making a Nandroid backup, the optimization and customization of its performances and even restoration operations. These are just examples of what you could do with it, we leave the rest to up to you. Having it installed on your phone, will also allow you to update your Android powered device with a custom kernel or with a custom ROM firmware.
You probably know that, in order to perform this operation and to follow our step by step tutorial, your Xperia Z has to be rooted and its bootloader unlocked. If you didn’t do this so far, and you need help, follow the links posted at the beginning of this article or search through our tutorials, you’ll definitely find something here.
We got to the part where we warn you about certain aspects implied by the procedure of rooting your device, or by the unlock of the bootloader. The first thing you should know is, that these processes can and will void the warranty of your Xperia Z. But, if you would want it back, you can undo the latter operations by downgrading or updating your Xperia smartphone to an official Android Os. This way, your bootloader will be relocked, and your phone’s root access will be removed. Another thing you must know, is that you won’t be able to make any OTA updates that might appear in the future for your smartphone. If you want to enjoy the official firmware updates after the root process, you will have to install them manually on your Sony Xperia Z.
As mentioned above, this is a procedure which implies certain risks. One of those risks is represented by the deletion of your internal stored information, data or settings. The deletion might be partial or complete, either way it is an unpleasant situation, which can be avoided through a simple backup of the data you don’t want to lose. Other things you should take care of before starting the process are: make sure you’re phone is fully charged, or has at least 60 % life battery, make sure you will use a Windows powered computer during this procedure, enable the USB debugging option on your Xperia Z, and deactivate or remove the security protection from your PC and from your phone (firewalls, antivirus programs can interfere and stop the process).
Keep in mind, that this tutorial isn’t general and can only be applied to the Sony Xperia Z device. The steps posted below won’t be appropriate for any other model, even if similar to the Xperia Z smartphone. However, if you ignore this advice and install the CWM Recovery from this tutorial to another phone, you will definitely brick it.
How to Install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery on Sony Xperia Z
- First of all, you have to check the firmware of your device, so go to Settings, then About phone. Here you will see the firmware version number which should be in this moment 10.1.A.1.350.
- Next, download and install on your PC the Android SDK which you can find here.
- Now, for installing the Fastboot drivers on your PC, you will have to download the file which can be found here. After the download is finished, extract that file on your PC. Copy the file android_winusb.inf to extras – google -usb_driver (placed in the folder Android SDK ).
- Your next move would be to go here, and download the CWM recovery file on your computer.
- Now copy this file in the folder Android SDK – platform – tools.
- Power off your Xperia Z.
- You have to boot your device into fastbood mode, and connect it to your PC. For accessing this kind of boot mode, you have to press the button Volume UP.
- Go ahead and install the drivers appropriate for your device. To do so, follow the prompts. Choose “Browse my computer for driver software”, then “Let me pick from a list of device drivers” , click on “Have Disk”. Now go to Android SDK -> extras -> google -> usb_driver and choose the android_winusb.inf file. Now, choose “Android Bootloader Interface”.
- Go to the folder Android SDK, open it, and go to platform-tools. Here, open a command prompt page (by holding down the SHIFT button placed on your keyboard, and right-click on an empty space on your screen and choose the option “Open command window here”).
- A new cmd Window will open, now type “fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version” then hit “Enter”.
- Keep that window open and type this: “fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce flash boot name_of_file.img” (this will replace the name_of_file with the name of the recovery file downloaded previously).
- Hit “Enter” and the flashing process will soon begin.
- At the end of the process, you will see the message “finished” displayed. Now, type the command “fastboot reboot” for rebooting the smartphone.
- That’s it, you’re finished. You can unplug your Xperia Z from your PC and open it.
By following these instructions, you will be able to boot the Xperia Z in recovery mode. So, power off the device, then reboot it by holding simultaneously the buttons Power Up, and Volume Up. As soon as the Sony logo is displayed and the LED is on, press repeatedly on the key Volume Up. When the menu for recovery mode is shown, choose the option reboot system now, to reboot the smartphone back to Android.
This is it, dear friends. You know now the entire procedure on how to install on your Sony Xperia Z, the tool ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery. We hope that everything went well for you, but if it didn’t, feel free to leave us a comment in the comment section provided below. Describe us the problem you had during the installation, and we will try to help you solve it.