Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Official Jelly Bean 4.2.1 XXUFMB3
The latest version of the official and upcoming Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 has been leaked, so during the next few lines I will show you how to manually install the XXUFMB3 OS on your device. The software is based on the previous JOP40D Jellybean 4.2.1 platform (you can learn how to apply the same on your Galaxy S3 by following the guide from here), which means that now we have a more stable stock Android 4.2.1 system, the previous bugs and issues being resolved.
The XXUFMB3 OS is the official update that will be made available by Samsung for all the Galaxy S3 I9300 smartphones, meaning that for now the firmware can’t be OTA or by using KIES flashed on your handset. The software will install the stock Jelly Bean 4.2.1 flavor on your Galaxy S3 as we are not dealing with a custom ROM. So, as you can already tell, if you want to update your phone without waiting for the official release, then you will have to learn how to manually flash the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 OS on your Galaxy S3.
Also, it will be a good idea to apply this step by step guide now because as we all know, when talking about official updates, the OTA variant will not be coming at the same time for all the SGS3 devices. The firmware will be offered depending on the markets and carriers, so some users will have to wait a little bit longer compared to other ones. Therefore, learning how to manually install the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 OS on your S3 might be exactly what you are looking for. But first, let’s take a look below, as some preparation tasks must be completed before heading to the proper flashing procedure.
This is the official update released by Samsung for the Galaxy S3 which means that you don’t have to root your phone for being able to complete this tutorial. Also, for the installation procedure Odin (which is a dedicated tool used especially for this type of operations) will be used, so you have nothing to worry about, the steps from below being easy to apply. Related to the root aspect, as you won’t need to unchain the system of your handset, by applying the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 firmware the warranty of your Galaxy S3 will not be void.
Furthermore, if your phone is currently powered by a custom ROM firmware, after completing the steps from below, you will be able to restore the lost warranty and reset the flash counter. Anyway, in case you do have a rooted S3, then the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked; for regaining the root access you will have to follow a guide suitable with the new OS (we will bring one soon so stay close). Now, even though we are dealing with the official Android 4.2.1 update, you still have to backup the Galaxy S3 data.
As mentioned Odin will be used for the installation procedure, so the data is unlikely to be wiped. Anyhow, if the tool will get stuck while applying the update a full wipe will have to be applied, so then all of your personal info will be wiped out. Because of that I do recommend you to save your text messages, call logs, calendar info, contacts list, EFS, market apps and everything else you need to. Then, take a look over the list from below and continue the tutorial with the proper update operation.
- You will need to use a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled.
- The Galaxy S3 and its USB cable must be near the computer.
- On the computer and handset there shouldn’t be any security tools (like antivirus programs) installed; deactivate the same before starting the update process.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Charge the battery of your S3 or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- Apply the next steps only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 model number I9300; the Jelly Bean 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 OS can be installed only on the mentioned device.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Official Jelly Bean 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 OS
- Download Samsung KIES and install the drivers for your device on the computer you will use.
- Download and install Odin.
- Download the update file from here; extract the same on your computer.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Then, turn off the S3 and reboot into download mode.
- You can enter download mode by pressing the Power, Center and Volume Down buttons at the same time.
- Take the USB cable and by using the same connect the handset with the computer.
- Now, on Odin you should notice that the ID:COM is yellow or blue and that the “added” message has been displayed.
- If not, unplug the USB cable, turn off Odin, reinstall the drivers on the computer and repeat the above steps.
- Form Odin, now select PDA and pick the update file from the computer.
- Don’t make any other changes, just click on “Start” and wait while the installation procedure is running.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- Unplug the USB cable and reboot your smartphone.
Take note that the first boot will take longer than usual; if so, don’t panic as there is nothing wrong with your Galaxy S3. But, if you will get a boot loop, you will then have to reboot your handset into recovery mode and from there choose: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition; next select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and everything should be working well now.
Also, if somehow Odin gets stuck while you are trying to complete the steps from above, you will have to disconnect the handset from the computer, turn off Odin, reinstall the drivers, force restart your handset and repeat the update procedure from the beginning.
Well that was all; you now know how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy S3 to official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean XXUFMB3 OS. Remember that this is the leaked version of the firmware so you cannot OTA or by using KIES apply the software yet.